Re: Spitfire clutch bleeding

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Spitfire clutch bleeding
From: Tom Tweed <ak627@dayton.wright.edu>
Date: Fri, 16 May 1997 19:25:37 -0400
Hello Josh, saw your post, and a couple possibilities came to mind :

 >Hi!
 >
 >     I'm new to this list and already need some help with my car. Any help
 >will be greatly appreciated.
 >
 >     After rebuilding the engine on my 1978 Spitfire, I found that my
       ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
 >clutch no longer worked. I removed the clutch assembly, rebuilt and
 >cleaned it completely and put it back together ensuring that the pin goes
 >back to the piston, etc, etc. After bleeding them I tried it and it still
 >didn't work. I've tried several bleeding methods but cannot seem to find
 >one that works. My master cylinder is okay as I have had it recently
 >rebuilt. I've ruled out just about everything except the method of
 >bleeding I have been using and, god forbid, having put some vital clutch
 >part in wrong. If anyone wants to give a starving student some sound
 >advice, it would be greatly appreciated!

Did you install new thrust washers on crank, and check end float ?
Did you replace the pilot bushing in the flywheel end of the crank ?
Can't offer much more than that, via e-mail, but I'm just throwing
them up as possibilities since if they're missing or misplaced, they
might account for enough slop that you'd lose your clutch release action.

This is not offered as `sound advice', more like a wild-ass guess.

 >This car is my daily driver and I need it to get to SDSU for finals week.
 >I think I read a couple messages by San Diego Triumph club people, but not
 >sure.
 >
 >Thanks in advance!
 >
 >Josh Hayes (18)
 >78' Spit with od
 >60' TR3-A (driven from Michigan to California in 93')

Good luck & best regards,
Tom Tweed
SW Ohio
'72 TRident 750cc basket case