FW: RE:TR6 electronic ignition alternatives

To: triumphs
Subject: FW: RE:TR6 electronic ignition alternatives
From: Mark J Bradakis <mjb>
Date: Wed, 14 May 1997 13:48:23 -0600 (MDT)
[BOUNCE triumphs@Autox.Team.Net:    Non-member submission from [Greg Tobin
<GTOBIN@bendata.com>]]

     From: Greg Tobin <GTOBIN@bendata.com>
     Subject: RE:TR6 electronic ignition alternatives
     Date: Thu, 1 May 1997 15:51:13 -0600

I run an MSD 6a in my 72 Mark iv, and it is great.  I also have an
Allison (Now Crane) ignition on my 79 1500.

 The differences:

  The MSD (any flavor from 5 to 7) use the *stock* triggering mechanism
to trigger the control box.  The MSD puts out a *HUGE* spark.  I swear
they'll start water on fire.  The drawback of course, is points.  Points
ignition are never perfect. Very easy to install, albeit kind of large
(takes up where the glove box used to be...)

The Crane/Allison is small, and uses it's own triggering mechanism which
never wears out.  Just as easy to install, the only catch being you have
to find TDC to properly install it.  The spark isn't as great, but it's
as reliable as a stone.

I would recommend either, dependent only on if you like to adjust
points.  On a more limited use car, go for the MSD (6T, has better
vibration control), on something you drive 150 miels a day, get the
Crane.

Greg Tobin
"That's No Moon..."