Re: Ummm, TWO Fuel Filters??

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Ummm, TWO Fuel Filters??
From: jhdavis6@juno.com (James H. Davis, Jr.)
Date: Wed, 14 May 1997 00:23:04 EDT
On Tue, 13 May 1997 08:13 -0500 (EST) STEVEN_E.JABLON@roche.com writes:

>     Good Morning!
>
>     I am curious if it is normal to have TWO inline fuel filters in a
>'76
>     TR6.  My TR6, which I bought last August, has a fuel filter
>before the
>     carbs and then another before the fuel pump.  In replacing the
>two
>     filters, the one before the fuel pump was full of this fine
>rusty-
>     looking silt.  Perhaps, an indication of problems in the tank?
>
>     Is this overkill?  Are the two absolutely necessary?  Am I
>correct in
>     assuming that I may get rid of the one before the fuel pump?
    As always, I appreciate your thoughts and comments.
>     Have a great day!
>     Steven J.
>     1976 TR6
>     CF51777U
>     Morristown, New Jersey
Only one fuel filter came with TR6's originally. The original filters
were located (on LHD carb cars) down by the oil filter between the end of
the steel fuel line from the tank and the short metal line running into
the fuel pump. This location keeps foreign material(including rusty silt)
out of the fuel pump. It is such a short distance from the filter to the
carbs that another filter seems unwarranted to me.
Jim Davis
Fortson, GA
'75 TR6  CF38690UO
'75 TR6  CF37325U