Re: Reginding lifters?

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Reginding lifters?
From: Bschwartz@encad.com (Barry Schwartz)
Date: Mon, 12 May 1997 10:56:09 -0700
>hile I have the head off my '6, I am upgrading the cam with a Crane
>cam. It has a very similar grid to the S2.. My problem is I don't want
>to wait  4-5 weeks for new lifters tobe back ordered .  So, can I have
>my old ones reground?
DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCE USE OLD LIFTERS WITH A NEW CAM ! ! !
Regrinding is not an option.  Do you want to take a chance and ruin the new
cam, plus have to go through all the work to replace it when you trash it
buy using old lifters?  Not worth taking a chance, and while lifters might
appear flat they are in actually ground with a very slight (around .002)
crown.  Regrinding, even if you add the crown would remove the hardening
causing rapid lifter/cam wear (and I doubt your friend reground it with the
crown)!  Unless you have the equipment to regrind and properly harden
(doubtful) than don't even consider using old lifters!  Don't just take my
word for it - ask any competent cam grinder or engine builder -

Barry Schwartz
Bschwartz@encad.com  (San Diego, CA)
72-V6 Spitfire (undergoing T5 transplant)
70 GT6+ (daily driver for now)
70 Spitfire (body repair on hold see above)