Re: Front Wheel Bearings

To: Mark Townsend <markt@tiac.net>
Subject: Re: Front Wheel Bearings
From: Nolan Penney <npenney@erols.com>
Date: Mon, 12 May 1997 12:07:54 -0700
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
>The 76 spit i picked up after the 13 year storage has developed a noisy
>front end (i'm not complaining).

It's quite possible for a bearing to develop a set or damage when sitting too
long with
a load on it.  That's why on the ships we'd have to use the hand jack to rotate
the
screw after 24 hours (I believe that's the time limit).  To prevent just what
you
describe.

It's not particularly common on a car that sits, but it isn't uncommon on a car
being
transported, where the car is bouncing and pounding on the bearing in the same
spot for
mile after mile.