Puzzling Clutch Judders, but looks great - TR4

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Puzzling Clutch Judders, but looks great - TR4
From: Christian Simonsen <shammy@inmind.com>
Date: Wed, 07 May 1997 19:26:10 -0400
Finally pulled the tranny on the TR4 last night. Was having intermittent
problems of disengaging fully. Also intermittent bouts of clutch judder.
Everything looks fine. I'm afraid I'll put a new clutch in and have the same
problems!!!

Thought I had fully ruled out slave and clutch hydralics/adjustments, etc.
But maybe not.

Conditions of the playing field:

        Outside of tranny - oilest I have ever seen a transmission in my
life!!!
        My hands are shiny black anytime I touch it or anything under the
car. A huge
        mess!

        Inside of tranny - oilmist/grit on inner bell housing. Pressure
plate dry. Took a
        rag and wiped outside housing and had no oil, just dust.

        Sleeve or nose around input shaft - no signs of fresh scraping.
Burnished areas          about all I found.

        Release bearing - a little worn on its face.

        Components - Flywheel, dry and smooth. Pressure plate, coil spring
type,dry and
        smooth. Clutch disk, dry and plenty of thickness- looks almost new.
Pressure
        plate so smooth I can see a clear reflection of the floorboards in it.

        Back side of Flywheel is dry also. Which means my rear seal is not
leaking?

        Hydralics - new lines, hoses and rebuilt by me. Bled by me. Thought
was good. Now
        having doubts and wondering if it was hydralics.

The fork has some lateral play, side to side. but no slop in the bushings.
My uncle must've greased that thing all the time, judging by the amount of
grease around the fork.

The pins that the bearing rest on have the slightest of flats.... Is that bad?

I am thinking of taking the advise and welding the fork to the shaft to
avoid the pin shattering problem. Really didn't follow that thread close
enough I guess.

Last year, I recalled a thread on clutch judders on TR6's that was maybe
related to the release bearing sliding on the sleeve???? I tried to find the
old archives but couldn't get there.

Ideas, offers, whatever would be appreciated.

Also.... Tired of my fiberglass fenders. Anyone have a fender they want to
get rid of?
I think my old front fenders are salvagable (with some rocker area repair
panels).
I really need some rear wings.... (I bet I'm not the only one...)

Thanks again peoples....

                Your pal Shammy.

54 tr2 waiting in the wings for some attention
63 tr4 gaping hole in mid floor.
Homebrewer (drinkin some now - soory for speling mistakes)
Woodworker (not tonight)