RE: Aftermarket Oil Gauges

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net, markt@tiac.net
Subject: RE: Aftermarket Oil Gauges
From: "Brent Martin" <b_martin@lifesci.lscf.ucsb.edu>
Date: Wed, 7 May 1997 07:23:30 -0700 (PDT)
In message Tue, 06 May 1997 21:12:14 -0400,
  Mark Townsend <markt@tiac.net>  writes:

> I was contemplating installing an aftermarket oil gauge in my 76 spitfire.

Highly recommended. I just installed on on my rebuilt engine; easy to do and
gives essential information.

> Question> anyone have any recommendations for sender location or gauge
> type.

jump in a T fitting at the oil pressure switch beloe the distributor;
sending unit goes in one side and new oil line goes in the other. I used a
mechanical guage; if you don't use the backlight, its a no-brainer to hook
up

> I am looking to install a mechanical gauge and I was thinking of a
> location in the cylinder head for the sender. Does anyone know of a good
> location in the factory head? Should I think about installing in the
> block instead?
> I would really like to leave the idiot light sender alone - lights are
> useful at times and I really hate disconnecting stock equipment.

using the T fitting, you still have the idiot light and the switch for the
"anti-run-on" valve