RE: Problems bleeding Spitfire brakes

To: "'Eric Kieboom'" <ekieboom@xs4all.nl>
Subject: RE: Problems bleeding Spitfire brakes
From: Peter Zaborski <peterz@merak.com>
Date: Sun, 4 May 1997 21:39:47 -0600
Cc: "'TR6 List'" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Some people may recall I was frustrated by the same problem on my TR6
last fall. As it turned out I parked it without brakes for the winter
and only this weekend returned to the source of my frustration. Well it
turns out that I had neglected to bench bleed the master cylinder and
this is what caused the
"spongy-pedal-no-matter-how-much-I-bled-the-system" syndrome for me.

Erik, you say you bench bled yours but perhaps you may want to double
check this. I had all the same sypmtoms you are describing last year (of
course I did not bench bleed). This year after a bench bleed. I was
getting a firm pedal almost immediately! You cannot believe how much
relief this gave me. All I did was buy a bench bleeding kit from a local
perts store for $8.00 (Canadian). Much less than a new MC which is what
I was considering last year!

Hello Ken Streeter:
Is there any chance we can add a bit about bench bleeding then MC to the
brake bleeding article (http://www.vtr.org/maintain/brake-bleeding.html)
at the VTR site? I was using this article to assist me and until I asked
a mechanic here in Calgary I had no idea I was supposed to bench bleed
the MC, much less what bench bleeding is. I found a good description at

http://xp8.dejanews.com/getdoc.xp?recnum=12433674&server=db97p2&CONTEXT=
862678409.4737&hitnum=1

I am willing to rewrite this to describe what I did on my TR6 - I think
it might help someone down the road who will, like me, be completely
ignorant of the mystical bench bleeding process. Or if people want to
see the article but don't have web access, I can post it here.

Let me know,

Peter Zaborski
76 TR6 (CF58310 UO)
Calgary AB Canada