Problems bleeding Spitfire brakes

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net, ekieboom@xs4all.nl
Subject: Problems bleeding Spitfire brakes
From: Mark Townsend <markt@tiac.net>
Date: Fri, 02 May 1997 21:59:04 -0400
Brake Problems of Eric Kieboom

Eric;

I recently rebuilt one of my rear wheel cylinders after the car had a long
nap (13 years)

My first problem was the rebuild kit.

It shipped with seals that were a hair too small.. Letting fluid flow past,
albeit very slowly. Did you save the "old" seals from your Master Cylinder
rebuild?

Also, DOT 3 Brake Fluid boils at a lower temperature than DOT 4 (I use DOT
4 exclusively in my spitfire and my quattro). When the DOT 3 Fluid boils,
it leaves a waxy residue on the cylinder piston. This builds up and will
also let fluid past the seal.

I completely sanded (honed) the cylinder walls (careful not to take much
out) in my rear brake cylinder and replaced the "OLD" seals and my problem
was solved.

Yes, I will agree that the bleeding can be difficult.

A friend of mine who races Fieros recently invested in some bleeder screws
that have an internal check valve. Crank them a quarter turn open, press
the brake a couple of times and close them. The internal check valve lets
fluid out, no air in. He swears by them. I haven't called about sizes that
will fit my 76 spit, but maybe someone out there already has. The web URL
is http://www.speedbleeder.com
email them at speedbleeder@super-highway.net or call at 630-739-4620
(Lemont, Illinois)

Let me know how it goes.

Mark

PS: Congrats! My wife and I were married and drove away in our 77 Spitfire
(maybe I will get the picture on my webpage someday.)

* Mark Townsend  *
* markt@tiac.net *