Re: TR6 Transmission Removal-HELP

To: triumph listserv <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: TR6 Transmission Removal-HELP
From: Roger Helman <rogerh@digimation.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 1997 09:06:23 -0500
JCBOUCHARD@aol.com wrote:

  > After several days of listening to my car sound like 10 screaming
  chickens
  > very time I push the clutch in, I sought advice and was told I
  needed a new
  > throw out bearing.  I decided to replace the whole clutch while
  I'm in there.
  >  I've got the whole thing torn apart and ready to come out but
  don't want it
  > to end up on the floor.  Is there any hope of a semi-out of shape
  30
  > something manually lifting the tranny out of the car or do I need
  a hoist?
  >  How much does the transmission weigh?  Help would be
  appreciated.

    I think with a little help you should not need a hoist. I have done
this by myself many times. Although installation requires a little help,
someone to align the main shaft with the clutch. Don't forget to use a
clutch alignment tool. It makes it a lot easier.
    You should also check the pin that secures the  fork to the
operating shaft. Mine had a crack it that caused the fork to slip. I
then had to remove the trans again, after just replacing the clutch, to
fix this. I believe this problem is not to uncommon with the '6. Also
check the ring gear on your fly wheel mine backed off causing the
starter to just grind away instead of engaging the ring gear. This also
required removing the transmission.

--
Roger Helman
71 TR6 CC67866L