spit - rear wheel chamber, question

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: spit - rear wheel chamber, question
From: romano@bellatrix.pcl.ox.ac.uk (Romano Kroemer)
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 1997 15:59:30 +0100 (BST)
Dear all,

        so far I've been a passive member of the list (for
several months), but I enjoyed your knowledge, discussions,
advice and humor a lot. I am now for some months the proud
owner of a 1977 Spitfire (what a beauty!), but I'm an absolute
novice in LBC and "gearhead" terms. It's time to bother you with
my first question.
        Reading about the discussion on the rear leaf spring
and the chamber I'd like to ask the following: When I look at
my spit from behind, then the lower parts of the rear wheels
are further apart than the upper parts. My questions:

- is this normal on Spitfires?
- is this called a positive or negative chamber?
- if this is not normal, do I have to replace the rear leaf spring?
- in case I have to replace it, are there any other parts apart
  from the spring that I should replace at the same time?

Romano
1977 Spitfire

--
Dr. Romano T. Kroemer