Re: FW: Spit w/ V8 Motor

To: Tom Tweed <ak627@dayton.wright.edu>
Subject: Re: FW: Spit w/ V8 Motor
From: Hu Stanley <stanleyh@hsvaic.hv.boeing.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Sep 1996 20:49:04 -0500 (CDT)
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net

On Mon, 23 Sep 1996, Tom Tweed wrote:

> Fellow Motorheads,
>
> I have two suggestions regarding this proposed conversion, and you can
> pick either:
> 1)  Don't do it !   ...or...
> 2)  You'll be sorry !!
>
> About 20 years ago, a couple of bright, talented buddies of mine, both of
> 'em fresh from Tech school, decided to put a Chevy 283 / powerglide (that's
> a common old 2-spd auto trans) into a mid-'60s Fiat coupe. The 283 was a
> common small-block V-8 available at any salvage yard.  Well, they did it.
> With much torching and addition of steel plate, they finished this little
> car, and climbed into the back seat (fronts had to be removed to accomo-
> date engine) and `fired that Mother up'.  It proved to be an excellent
> form of laxative, when taken out of the barn and onto the nearly deserted
> local township roads (paved, badly).

...some good stuff snipped for the sake of not showin' me up...

Tom:

You said it good, but the other side of the arguement is exactly what
makes good science fiction, terrific sea stories, and fantastic memories
when you are old and sitting on your front porch.  Mutant fire spewing
street animals that are too much for any mortal to tame are pretty much
what a whole class of young dumb motorheads lust for.

Of course they might not be totally pleased with their attempts, but I
for one am the kinda guy that likes the trip as much as getting there, the
tinkerin' as much as the driving, and the stories and memories are all
part of it.

...and thanks for re-living one of yours, it was a fine one.

- Hu -