Re: You guy are letting me down...

To: cloughbt@batman.flight.wpafb.af.mil (Bruce T. Clough)
Subject: Re: You guy are letting me down...
From: kedwards@norfolk.infi.net (Keith A. Edwards)
Date: Thu, 5 Sep 1996 17:37:40 -0400 (EDT)
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Bruce Clough wrote:

SNIP
>...totally dismayed that nobody on
>the mailing lists had a copy of "ABBA's Greatest Hits" on 8-track that they
>could part with.
>
>I realized then that I had my goal set too high.
>
>So, how's about Heart's "Little Queen", or Meatloaf's "Bat Out Of Hell"?
>Anybody got those on 8-track that would like to donate them to some
>retro-whacko that just bought a TR7 FHC for an everyday driver.

I too must have missed your original request.  You _may_ be in luck.  I
think I saw "ABBA's Greatest Hits" on 8-Track at a thrift store in Franklin,
VA a few weeks ago.  I will check if it is still there, but I doubt it is in
big demand.  I recall pointing out the tape to my wife, Terry, since we both
have not-so-fond memories of a road trip about 15 years ago with a "friend"
with too many ABBA tapes.  I didn't really consider purchasing the tape, but
there was humor built in.  Cost was $0.45 USD, as I recall.

I am used to seeing 8-Track tapes, especially from the late 1970s, at thrift
stores.  Have only bought a couple.

I believe that I have in my possession 3 stereo receivers with 8-Tracks in
them, probably 2 of which have Record capability.  I think 2 of them
conveyed with houses we have bought over the years, both times found in the
garage.  Perhaps that means something...

I checked into my 8 Track collection and found the following:

Elton John (3), including "Caribou"
Paul Simon (1)
Simon and Garfunkel ("Greatest Hits")
Rick Wakeman's "Journey to the Centre of the Earth"
Linda Ronstadt (1)
"Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band"
The Who (1)
Carly Simon (1)
Cat Stevens (4 too many)
The Doobie Brothers "What Were Once Vices are Now Habits"

(a couple would require splicing)  I note a slight British influence, mostly
early or mid-1970s.

One head cleaning cartridge

One formerly "blank" 8-Track (probably with the audio of the Ford-Carter
presidential debates, from when I was in grad. school)  Do I recall
correctly that there was a little tab that you would break off, to avoid
mistakenly re-recording over something you wanted to keep??  I think this
tape could still be recorded on again.

Let me know if you would like a receiver.  I would be happy to part with
one.  I will be at Summit Point for the SVRA vintage race late this month.
Look for the "Minnie with the Chrysler big block engine", parked on the
inside of Turn 10, as usual.

Keith "I sure enjoy watching '8-Track Flashback' on VH1 on the satellite"
Edwards
Suffolk, VA
kedwards@norfolk.infi.net
4 TRs
1 A-H
1 Austin Princess Vanden Plas limo (For Sale)