Re: GT6 Insanity (a little long)

To: "Lindberg, Andrew (MN12)" <Andrew.Lindberg@corp.honeywell.com>, "iguana@nccn.net" <iguana@nccn.net>, "rjl6n@uva.pcmail.virginia.edu" <rjl6n@uva.pcmail.virginia.edu>, "thoward@sdcoe.k12.ca.us" <thoward@sdcoe.k12.ca.us>
Subject: Re: GT6 Insanity (a little long)
From: R John Lye <rjl6n@uva.pcmail.virginia.edu>
Date: Thu, 5 Sep 96 17:24:41 EDT
Cc: "triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Hi Andy,
     I got the best chuckle (of recognition) from this
message that I've had for a few days.  Thanks!
On Sep 5,  4:39pm, "Lindberg, Andrew (MN12)" wrote:
> John Lye (rjl6n@uva.pcmail.Virginia.EDU) wrote:  "There's also a GT-4 in a
> junkyard near Scottsville, VA that would be pretty easy to resurrect if
> anyone was so inclined."
>
> I kept the above phrase on my machine for two days but was unable to
> bring myself to erase it.  Why would anybody in Minnesota even think
> about driving to Virginia, pulling a butchered GT6 out of a junkyard,
> and transporting it back to Minnesota (how?) to occupy a corner of his
> garage for the next decade?

It is definitely a long haul from here to there.  However, that
same junkyard has another 6 or 8 GT-6's...

> The only possible answer is that I've gone nuts.

Too late for that, I'm afraid.

> But now I've got this insane idea that I need a GT6.  I'm afraid I'm over
> the edge.  What do I need a GT6 for?  I can't think of any good reason.

They're great commuter cars.  I use mine almost every day, until
the snow flies anyway (which it did last winter here anyway).

> In the summer they're like a toaster oven.

True, but that can be partly cured with some mylar/bubble wrap
insulation under the carpet.

> Only Volkswagens and Corvairs have worse rear suspensions.

That's true of the Mk I's, but I happen to like the Rotoflex
suspension a lot.

> Anybody with good advice?

>From this group?!?  We're all as bad as you are!

>  -- Andy Lindberg  (On my God!  Is this one of those things you inherit
> through your first name?  Will I be coveting Heralds next?)

Probably.  FWIW, that same junkyard has a pair of Heralds (one coupe
and one convertible).  Myself, I'd love to find a Vitesse...