Re: TR6 Trailing Arm Bushings

To: mike@ShoppersDrugMart.ca
Subject: Re: TR6 Trailing Arm Bushings
From: rgb@exact.com
Date: Sat, 11 May 09:55:26 1996
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net, rgb
New shock links and bushings will remove the "throttle" steer
and slop from the rear.  It raised the rear bumper 1" on mine.

I had some new poly ones from TRF laying around (British NW is
cheaper (same parts??), grease the steel pin!!!)  TRF just added
a nylatron kit with the critical rear bushings and front assembly,
HP130, HP129 very expensive.

I screwed the shock pin off/on several times to support as necessary.

Materials needed:
1     1 1/2" PVC cut to 3"
1     6" Craftsman C-clamp
1     Poly rear bushing set with steel sleeves
1     1" wood to cover end of PVC (soft)

1.  drop arm, remove spring
2.  count position and number of shims at brackets
3.  release brake hose at mount to arm
4.  remove outside pivot pin, loosen nut on inside
5.  remove top inside pivot bracket bolt and remove nut from
    the lower one
6.  drop outside edge down to ground and pull back, the
    inside bolt can be remove over the frame, rear of the body,
    twist whole unit around
7.  Using the C-clamp, PVC, wood with silicon lube or Armor-All
    press the old bushings out.  Found a closed end offset
    wrench to work well wedged against the C-clamp shaft for leverage
8.  Scrap, sand, remove the old rubber in the hole
9.  Press in new Poly with C-clamp
10. Press in shaft against wood to allow some overshoot for centering
    (using the C-clamp allows perfect alignment of the bushings/pin
11. Grease inside of sleeve and bolt, reverse w/spring, bleed brakes

--
Roger G. Bolick, rgb@exact.com, (512) 794-9567, FAX 345-2879