Re: TR 6 Horn

To: 74741.2020@compuserve.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR 6 Horn
From: TR6Massey@aol.com
Date: Sun, 5 May 1996 16:20:13 -0400
In a message dated 96-05-02 11:52:46 EDT, 74741.2020@CompuServe.COM (Neil
Beasley) writes:

>Hello all,
>
>I'm trying to get the 76 TR 6 ready to pass the Texas Vehicle Inspection
test
>and the horn has to work to do this(and for other good reasons). Now it just
>beeps  when I ground it using a screwdriver to the metal streering column

>Anybody have any idea where I should look next?
>
>Thanks
>
>Neil
>Longview,

Neil,

There is a relay in this circuit.  The relay is mounted on the inner fender
very near the wiper motor.  The other relay is: A) the emergency flasher
relay on earlier cars or
B) the starter relay on cars with the starter lockout device.

One side of the relay coil is connected to +12 Volts.  The other side is
connected to the horn bush.  When the horn button is pressed the circuit is
completted to ground and the relay should actuate.  The relay contacts will
supply + 12 Volts to the horn when the relay is actuated.

Two questions:
1) When you get only a beep is the relay staying actuated or is the relay
only working intermittently?  If the relay is staying actuated until you
release the button (or remove the short) then the relay and the button
circuit is OK.

It is quite possible that the relay can be heard clicking when the button is
pressed and released but the contacts do not supply + 12 Volts to the horns
all the time the button is pressed.  Replace the relay, the contacts are
probably corroded.  If the relay is clicking when the button is held down
solid then the electrical connections to the relay are suspect.  Probably
corrosion.

2) If the relay is staying actuated is + 12 Volts being applied to the horns.
 If so then the horns are the problem (probably a poor ground connection).

Good luck.  Trouble shooting electrical problems is not as mystical as it may
seem but a volt meter (or test light) is essential.

Dave Massey
TR6Masset@aol.com