Re: TR 6 Horn

To: Neil Beasley <74741.2020@CompuServe.COM>, Unknown <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: TR 6 Horn
From: "Doug Mitchell" <dmitchel@ford.com>
Date: Thu, 2 May 1996 13:51:03 -0400 "TR 6 Horn" (May 2, 11:42am)
> Subject: TR 6 Horn
> Hello all,
>
> I'm trying to get the 76 TR 6 ready to pass the Texas Vehicle Inspection test
> and the horn has to work to do this(and for other good reasons). Now it just
> beeps  when I ground it using a screwdriver to the metal streering column
--no
> continuous blow. It did blow several times when I first started grounding it
and
> then stopped. I cleaned the contact points on the connector brush  and on the
> relay. The voltage between the sliding contact point on the connector brush
and
> ground is right at 12v. Changing the rotation position of the steering wheel
> doesn't help. It still just beeps when ground contact is made and then no
> further noise.
>
> Anybody have any idea where I should look next?
>
> Thanks
>
> Neil
> Longview, Tx
> 76 TR 6
>-- End of excerpt from Neil Beasley

Neil,

The horn in the TR6 operates as follows:

When you push the horn button, you energize the horn relay, which closes
the relay contacts. When the contacts close, the horns sound.

If the horns don't operate, the fault is either the relay, which if it
operates you should hear click; the horns themselves; the wiring which
ties it all together; or the horn button on the steering wheel (including
the button tube inside the wheel hub).

You mention that you change the rotation position of the steering wheel,
do you mean that you turn the wheel, or that you turn the horn button?
The horn button has a contact on it, and if you turn it, it won't come
into contact with the sleeve in the hub.

You also make mention of grounding it with a screwdriver. Ground what?

Doug Mitchell