RE: RE: N.O.S. Redlines

To: "triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: RE: N.O.S. Redlines
From: Wes Grady <wesgrady@csbh.mhv.net>
Date: Sat, 4 May 1996 13:09:57 -0400
Joe, you remind me of a situation that happened about 15 years ago.  I was in
my last year of law school and was helping out at the tire store (that's were I
learned all  I know about tires, which admittedly is a little dated at
present).  It was the beginning of winter and everyone was in getting their
snow tires.  One man and his wife came in and started off with something to the
effect of: "my wife is a mediocre driver who hates the snow.  I want the
absolute best tire and setup for her car."  We talked and I recommended a set
of Gislaved Frosts with carbide studs for ice traction, and mounted on all four
wheels.  I explained that there were more expensive tires, but none that would
out-perform the Frosts.  He immediately said yes, and we wrote it up and the
men in the shop started working on the car.  A few minutes later he came over
and said that he wanted white walls.  I explained that the Frost did not come
in white walls because the Europeans don't care about such things, and besides
this was a snow tire.  He balked and said he would only take white walls, and
put something else on.  End result, he paid more money, got less of a snow tire
and never did what he started out to do, put the best tire on the car for his
wife.  Now, you want red-lines.  Ok, Coker has them in their catalog for $170
each, plus tax and shipping and installation and tubes or rubstrips.  Multiply
by 4 and you quickly get to the $800+ range.