VBL, TRF, Moss, & Others

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: VBL, TRF, Moss, & Others
From: Killjoy@aol.com
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 1995 01:56:02 -0400
I think we've all been approaching an unspoken limit that I didn't want to
mention.

That is, I think its time to drop the "Loyalty Wars" over our preferences of
parts suppliers.  Too many recent messages have contained segments much like
"Company X sucks, I wouldn't ever buy from them" and similar sentiments with
nothing to indicate why.  Let's please drop it.

I most definitely want to read specific, definable faults or disappointing
incidents experienced with each of the respective suppliers.  I'd suggest
that when appropriate, we post our experiences, followed by our impressions
and opinions, and then just drive on.

If this message sounds like it is defending Victoria British, Ltd. of Lenexa,
Kansas, well, that's because in a large part, it is.  (1-800-255-0088)

As a Spitfire Mk2 owner, I know even more personally than most of you how
hard it is to find parts for our LBC's.  TRF, Moss, and Special Interest Car
Parts don't bother to offer even minimal coverage of the early Spitfires.
 They all most certainly skim the cream of the owners off (the much larger
number of Mk3, 4 and 1500 owners) while leaving those who love the original
dual-SU 1147cc (70 cu in) powered models (Mk1+2) in the cold.  I'd love to
try TRF and Moss, and any number of other companies for parts for my car, but
sadly, they don't want my business.

Well, before I step off my little soapbox, I'd like to name the only other US
supplier of early Spitfire parts that I could find: Motorhead of Arlington,
VA.  Reach them at 1-800-527-3140.  Their stock is far smaller than most
parts suppliers, but their staff is far cooler.

And if you know of any other US suppliers of EARLY Spitfire parts, please let
me know.

Anyway, I hope my own two cents worth about the trend I'm seeing in this list
helps us all realize something.  While most of us are lucky enough to have
several choices for parts to choose from, there are others who have far
fewer.  And those of us who do have the fewer choices don't want to see our
suppliers "talked out of the business" without proper justification.

Michael Turley
Killjoy@aol.com
'67 Spitfire4 Mk2  (Red, both tops, and in need of dozens of various
parts...)