Re: VBL, TRF, Moss, & Others

To: Killjoy@aol.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: VBL, TRF, Moss, & Others
From: pcarson@primenet.com (Paul A. Carson)
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 1995 19:36:45 -0700
>I most definitely want to read specific, definable faults or disappointing
>incidents experienced with each of the respective suppliers.  I'd suggest
>that when appropriate, we post our experiences, followed by our impressions
>and opinions, and then just drive on.

     Just for my $00.02 worth, there are pros and cons to the Big Three
(Moss, TRF, and VB) that I discovered over the two year period I resurrected
my TR-4A.
     Moss - Since I live in So. Cal.(not my choice, believe me), I can order
a part from Moss and receive it next day.  I can also order parts from my
local Moss distributor and not pay shipping (good for the big items).  Moss
is a little pricier, but generally has what I need.  Moss tends to misinform
when a part will be available and does not always have the part when they
say they have the part.  Sometimes, they forget about backorders.
        TRF - I ordered $3500 dollars of parts in two orders to take
advantage of their wonderful sales.  They were not all in stock, but I
didn't care because I was still underneath the body tub sandblasting away.
TRF has also done many things to make life easier as well...I could not find
a mild steel muffler for my TR-4A.  Moss said three weeks...and as an aside,
I forgot to cancel that backorder and it showed up on my doorstep 1 year 3
months later.  TRF broke up a stainless steel set (I had already ordered and
received the rest of the mild steel exhaust) and sold me a s.s. muffler.
TRF's prices are excellent and I always try to order there if I can wait
three days.  Runyan's silly bear? ads kind of throw me off sometimes. Needs
a proper catalogue (Online, please!).
        VB - Well, VB may be slow as far as shipping goes(one week on avg.),
but they do have an excellent catalogue, as Moss does, for quick reference.
One thing that stands out with VB is that with my experience, if they say
they have a part, they really do.  The other notable thing about VB is that
they have had, in stock numerous items that were unavailable anywhere else.
For example, a complete NOS thermostat housing (mine was missing from the
car, and an adaptor plate for my overdrive (a "friend" broke it while we
were assembling the tranny).
        There are pros and cons to all three, but exploit them for their
pros and drive, drive, drive.

Paul A. Carson                         1967 Triumph TR-4A / CTC 78299LO
Program Manager/Flight Test Navigator  1974 Norton Commando 850 Mk. II
Big Safari                             1988 Isuzu Trooper SE
Lockheed - Martin Aircraft Services    1993 Honda Civic EX
Ontario, Ca
(909) 338-9873

Yes...I really do wear a Nomex flight suit to work everyday...to keep the
flames off!