Re: TRIUMPH TR6 WANTED

Subject: Re: TRIUMPH TR6 WANTED
From: "Riggs, R. (Kevin)" <rkriggs@hsv28.pcmail.ingr.com>
Date: Thu, 25 May 95 16:05:00 CDT
Encoding: 26 TEXT
Ken Streeter opines:

> For $5000, you should be able to find a rust free car.  Indeed,
> in my opinion, I would look for a rust-free car, and not worry as
> much about the quality of the paint, interior, and simple-to-fix
> mechanicals, provided the car is complete.

I agree, but with caveats.  I bought my '72 TR6 in Alabama 7 years ago for
$2200.  It has no rust and only minor body dents.  Virtually all of the
interior was there, and mechanically and electrically, most everything
worked.  But I've spent about $4k getting everything back to tip-top shape
mechanically, and I still have most of the interior and a good paint job to
go...  Not to mention all the time I'm spending.  Admittedly, I haven't
spent my money wisely and I've made mistakes along the way; but who's to say
you (not just you, Ken--I mean any of us) wouldn't make the same mistakes.
 It does make sense to get the best car you can afford unless you are a very
efficient/experienced/*lucky* mechanic.

But like everyone else has said, $7200 is *way* too much for the car the
original poster described.

Kevin Riggs
'72TR6
rkriggs@ingr.com