Re: Webers or SUs, that's the question

To: "VanDerLet, Ronald" <RLET@wcnd.utrecht.ATTGIS.COM>, british-cars@autox.team.net, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Webers or SUs, that's the question
From: "Chris Kantarjiev" <cak@godzilla.studio.sgi.com>
Date: Mon, 22 May 1995 10:35:06 -0700 "Webers or SUs, that's the question" (May 22, 4:37pm)
        The main idea is to get some more power  out of the old 2 litre lump.
I'm
        aiming at something between 130 and 150 bhp and no I don't want to swap
it
        for a 2.5 litre unit. So, can anyone tell me whether my assumptions are
        correct and if so, should I gor for the SUs or the Webers. Should I go
        for a double or for a triple carb setup?

Sigh. You can't just swap the carbs and expect to bump the horsepower 30 to
50%. You're going to have to do some homework and make some decisions. Start
off by purchasing the TriumphTune catalog and reading it and making sense of
it.

For that kind of jump, you're going to want increased CR, bigger valves, port
and polish, new cam, new exhaust system. You'll also probably want the Webers,
but finding an intake manifold for your Mk1 engine may be difficult; a pair of
larger SUs may do just as well for you.