TR6 Questions

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR6 Questions
From: TinyHost@aol.com
Date: Thu, 11 May 1995 20:08:48 -0400
>Reach in and wipe out the cannister with a rag if you really feel a
>need to be thorough.

And that's exact;y what I did. Messy, to say the least...

>I paid about $150 for my last head rebuild (I pulled the head myself
>to save a few bucks), which included all new valve guides and a couple
>new valves. You might start thinking about this, though I don't think
>you need to be in any hurry.

That sounds like something worth doing / having done over the winter.

>Slacken the nuts about a quarter turn in the reverse order shown for
>torquing them before you start retorquing. Again, sequence is critical
>or you may warp or crack your head.

Thanks for the note about backing the nuts off. The sequencing is
strongly mentioned in the manual. <g>

>Think about universal joints, a new bushing kit for the differential,
>a complete front-end bushing kit from TRF

All of the above (plus brakes and front/rear shocks) were done by the
previous owner less than 10K miles ago.

>and thorough maintenance of the wiring.

I think that's going to be high on the list (after the exhaust). I've
already found some relatively minor things that don't work, and have
had some things die, then start working again after jiggling a few
wires. I've been using a combination of WD40 and emery cloth to clean
off the oxidation and grease on the exposed connections under the hood.
I haven't yet figured out how to clean off the female connectors on the
wiring harnesses, though.

I'm also trying to figure out an easy way to replace the rubber
grommets that were eaten away when the clutch leaked. I have no desire
(or intention at this point) to disconnect all of those wires to thread
a grommet over 'em. My first thought is to make a cut in the grommet so
that it's no longer a continuous ring, then gently wrap it around the
wire and sneak it into the hole in the firewall.

>I could go on and on, but you might wind up in the same boat I'm in--
>I'm *way* over-invested in this car, and I'll never, ever get my money
>back out of it now.

To be honest, I have no illusions that I'll get my money out of the car
when I sell it. I've always wanted one of these beasts and bought it
purely for the driving enjoyment. That's why I wasn't too concerned
with how original the car was. I was just looking for one that seemed
solid and unabused.

        Bruce Krobusek
        Rochester   NY
       tinyhost@aol.com