Re: A particularly dumb question about hardtops

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: A particularly dumb question about hardtops
From: Michael Hargreave Mawson <OC@46thFoot.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2003 09:11:07 +0100
On Tue, 22 Apr 2003, at around 07:46:33 local time, Richard Gosling
<richard.gosling@exprogroup.com> wrote:
>Ken,
>
>I do vaguely remember hearing that the hardtop can be installed over the
>soft-top, but I fail to see how.  You would have to remove the rear bar,
>otherwise you would not be able to get the rear bolts in, and in any case
>the presence of the soft-top would prevent the hard-top fitting snugly down
>to the rear deck.

Dear Ken and Richard,

This isn't quite true.   Yes, you need to remove the rear bar, but this
only takes a few seconds.   You do not need to remove anything else, and
you fold the soft-top in behind the seats.

>You would also need to remove the brackets at the top of the B-pillars, so
>the hard-top bracket could bolt on.

Not so.

>  Well, by the time you've done that you
>have removed everything that holds the soft-top on, so you might as well
>remove it from the car completely!  Although there are alternative, shorter
>brackets for the hard-top at this connection, but I'm not sure where they'd
>attach?

You would definitely need to use the alternative hard-top fixings, and
screw them directly into the soft-top bracket.

Having said all that, I have only ever done this once, and ever since I
have removed the soft-top completely when fitting the hard-top.   There
seems to be no real benefit (apart from not having to undo a couple of
bolts on either side of the car), and the downside is that there is
little room for anything behind the seats if you've got the soft-top
stowed there.   Additionally, if your speakers are in the rear panel,
the sound quality is severely degraded!

ATB
--
Mike
Carly  - 1977 Inca Yellow Spitfire 1500 FH105671