A particularly dumb question about hardtops

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: A particularly dumb question about hardtops
From: Ken Strayhorn <ken@dukecomm.duke.edu>
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2003 10:16:09 -0400
Friends -

I finally broke down and purchased a hardtop for
my '72. It's a factory top, in excellent condition
with clear glass, good headliner and the only rubber
that needed replacing was the seal for the door
windows.

The first time I put it on the car I had the ragtop
frame completely off for some cleaning work. The
top fit perfectly.

I took the hard top off and put the soft top back
on for summer. Now comes the dumb question: How
does one put the hard top on with the soft top
installed? The manual is silent on this point,
only giving instructions for removing the hard top
and saying that installation is "the reverse of
removing it".

Do you remove the back bar (that holds the soft top
to the rear of the cockpit) before installing the
hard top? Are there any other steps to be taken
before installing the hard top, other than just
putting down the soft top in the usual manner?

Any hints or instructions will be gladly received.

Thanks!

Ken Strayhorn
Hillsborough NC