Re: Overdrive questions x-mac-creator="4D4F5353"

To: "Michael Hargreave Mawson" <OC@46thFoot.com>, <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Overdrive questions x-mac-creator="4D4F5353"
From: "William Davies" <bill@rarebits4classics.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 6 Feb 2003 16:26:16 -0000
----- Original Message -----
From: Michael Hargreave Mawson <OC@46thFoot.com>

> > In real terms it will make the car more economical which is another
> >budgetary offset.
>
> Not according to the official mileage figures, surprisingly enough.
> There is practically nothing between the fuel consumption figures on a
> 1500 in O/D fourth and fourth - and what there is, is in favour of the
> non-OD car...

This is why I said effectively. Having owned a multitude of Triumphs both with
and without overdrive, there is a real gain in economy with the use of
overdrive. I don't doubt that some of this is the result of a modified diving
style to take advantage of the overdrive, but it's a genuine difference. Stated
economy figures rarely have any bearing on what is achieved (or is achievable)
in the real world,
   Cheers,
        Bill.

--