Re: Overdrive questions x-mac-creator="4D4F5353"

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Overdrive questions x-mac-creator="4D4F5353"
From: Michael Hargreave Mawson <OC@46thFoot.com>
Date: Thu, 6 Feb 2003 08:17:50 +0000
On Wed, 5 Feb 2003, at around 21:44:56 local time, William Davies
<bill@rarebits4classics.co.uk> wrote:

> [...]

Dear Bill,

I know that reading this list can give one a skewed view of the
reliability of our cars - after all, people don't often post looking for
help with something that is working well - but I have seen a lot of
posts about overdrive problems here over the past couple of years.

> I've yet to meet an owner of an overdrive equipped car who would
>happily be without the feature.

That is my experience too.   Mind you, I've yet to meet an owner of a
wire-wheel-equipped car who would happily be without the feature either.

What I am getting at is the fact that overdrive was (and is) an optional
extra (however desirable), and that when one is trying to run an old car
on a tight budget, spending money on optional extras is possibly not the
most far-sighted decision one could make, even if these extras didn't
add to the list of potential problems.   I also have a theory that
within, say, ten or twenty years, there won't be a single example of an
original, non-OD, Spitfire left on the road, which would be a great
pity.

ATB
--
Mike
Carly  - 1977 Inca Yellow Spitfire 1500 FH105671