RE: prop/drive shaft

To: "'Lambert, Iain'" <Iain.Lambert@compaq.com>, spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: prop/drive shaft
From: Richard Gosling <richard.gosling@exprogroup.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Jun 2002 08:27:20 +0100
Iain,

I guess it's possible that the stiff UJ is the problem, but it doesn't seem
that likely to me.  The propshaft is pretty well aligned with the gearbox
and diff in a Spit, and (unlike cars with a live rear axle) the UJs don't
really have much to do.

I would be more suspicious of cups that were loose in the flanges, or
flanges that may have ovalised or distorted somehow, that could lead to the
shaft not rotating exactly about its centre.

Another possibility could be to do with the original balancing when the
propshaft was first made - small plates are welded onto the propshaft to get
perfect balance.  Age and rust may have led to a not-very-well attached
plate falling off.

It may well be worth trying to find somewhere that will check the balance of
the propshaft for you before you re-install it.  Not sure how you'd go about
finding such a place however...

Richard & Daffy

Important Notice:
The information in this email is confidential and may be legally-privileged.
If you have reason to believe you are not the intended recipient, any
disclosure,
copying, distribution or any action taken or omitted to be taken in reliance on
it is prohibited and may be unlawful and you are requested to contact the sender
urgently and dispose of this email