RE: The Thieves are Back

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: The Thieves are Back
From: Marc Anger <marcanger@mac.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2002 17:41:47 +0100
Just my 2p.
When I was in France we used to have the "vignette". It was set up in
1958, initially to help finance retirement pensions. it was cheap for
small, low powered cars (hence the Renault 4CV, R8, 4L, Simca 1000,
etc...) and getting dearer and dearer (up to #800 for RR and the
likes).
To prove it we had a coloured disk that was STUCK to the windscreen.
Each year the colour would be different. It was totally impossible to
remove it in one piece. But we also had a paper with all the details
that we kept with the car's papers. Needless to say I was quite
surprised when I bought my first Tax disk for Decibel to see that the
only proof I had was this paper I was displaying. I think it is
appalling that a crime victim should find himself in a position to be
prosecuted because of the crime he suffered. That goes against all
the history England made when it came with the Habeas Corpus and the
first proper Justice system in the world.
It needs to be put right
Write to your MP's...
(End of my rant...for now;>)

PS: BTW, the vignette has now disappeared in France. But we have tolls!)