Re: '78 music

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: '78 music
From: Michael Hargreave Mawson <OC@46thFoot.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2002 09:19:36 +0100
In article <11EEFA4B6844D511A0E70008C71E9F018F3972@ABDEXH01>, Richard
Gosling <richard.gosling@exprogroup.com> writes
>As Mike and several others pointed out, my selection isn't exclusively '78.
>I did say "give or take a little" in my original e-mail!!  Basically, a lot
>of the bands I wanted either didn't release anything in '78, or at least
>nothing noteworthy (after all the Sex Pistols were defunct before that year
>was a month old!), so I tried to pick the songs that they released closest
>to '78 that were worth listening to.  I went no more than one year either
>side!
>
>The AC/DC one was, by the way, '77, off "Let There Be Rock", with Bon Scott
>still on vocals.  By '80 Bon was dead and we were into "Back In Black" era.
>You might call me up on my knowledge of some of these bands, but never
>AC/DC!

My fault - I double-checked that one in the Guinness Book of British Hit
Singles, and it *charted* in '80, although you are, of course, perfectly
correct in saying that it was first released as an album track three
years before.

>Judas Priest (and Ted Nugent) more heavy metal than hard rock, but I like
>them.  And ZZ Top were definitely going since the mid-70's - the track I
>picked was from somthing like their 3rd or 4th album.

I certainly didn't hear of ZZ Top until the mid-Eighties, which shows
just what a cool, hip dude you must have been in the late Seventies -
well ahead of your time as far as your musical taste was concerned. :-)

>But, Mike, I have to agree with all of your extra suggestions.  Problem is,
>I haven't actually got a copy of any of those songs...

*I* do!   (I also have copies of 90% of the songs on your list) I'll see
what I can do about putting a tape together for you (or, rather, for us
both).

ATB

--
Mike
Michael Hargreave Mawson, author of "Eyewitness in the Crimea"