Re: '78 music

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: '78 music
From: Michael Hargreave Mawson <OC@46thFoot.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2002 21:37:32 +0100
In article <F176Foz8pgxN8pUSUsa0000e755@hotmail.com>, L G
<boynigel@hotmail.com> writes
>When I had my '77, I tried to only play British (with the exception of Billy
>Joel) and of that era-which was hard because I was really into New Wave at
>that time, and so much of that didn't come around untill *after* 77.

Most New Wave bands were already recording in '77, but didn't make it
big until the following year - Blondie and the Boomtown Rats spring
immediately to mind.

>'78 is a good year-that would include not only PP&F, and Year of the Cat-but
>also the Blue Album and Time Passges! (All Al Stewart!)

<g>   Something tells me that Al Stewart isn't going to fit with the
rest of the tracks on this compilation...

>But it would leave out "Car Trouble" by Adam Ant. Of course, you could also
>make a compilation of just songs about cars-that would include Jimi Hendrix,
>and the Cars ('cause, look at their name!)
>
>I also had a tape of "adventure" songs-including "Pyrates" by ELP. Yep-all
>songs that had an Errol Flynn/Indiana Jones feel...
>
>So, there's lots of different ways to go.

Hi, Laura,

I don't suppose you're going to like too many of these, but they will
all make you drive faster and with more flair!   I've been going through
my record collection (some of this vinyl has nearly 25 years of dust on
its sleeves!) and have come up with the following short-list for the
tape I'm putting together for Carly and Daffy (1977 and 1978 Spits
respectively):

1976
Queen - Tie your mother down
Thin Lizzy - The Boys are back in town
Sex Pistols - Anarchy in the UK

1977
Stranglers - Something Better Change, No More Heroes, Peaches
Jam - Modern World
Blondie - X-Offender, Denis
Sex Pistols - Pretty Vacant, Holidays in the Sun
Eddie and the Hot Rods - Do Anything You Wanna Do
Ramones - Sheena is a Punk Rocker
Meat Loaf - Bat out of Hell, Paradise by the Dashboard Light etc.
Boston - More than a Feeling
Clash - White Riot, London's Burning

1978
X-Ray Specs - Germ Free Adolescents
SLF - Suspect Device
Buzzcocks - Ever Fallen In Love
Blondie - Heart of Glass, Picture This
Elvis Costello - Oliver's Army
Undertones - Teenage Kicks
Siouxsie & The Banshees - Hong Kong Garden, Helter Skelter, Metal
Postcard
TRB - Power in the Darkness
Boomtown Rats - Rat Trap, She's So Modern
Jam - David Watts, Down in the Tube Station at Midnight
Queen - Fat Bottomed Girls
Clash - London Calling, Tommy Gun
Ted Nugent - Cat Scratch Fever
Judas Priest - Take on the World
Status Quo - Down, Down

1979
Rainbow - Since You've Been Gone
Ruts - Babylon's Burning
SLF - Alternative Ulster
Pretenders - Precious
Dickies - Banana Splits

I'm now trying to work out what I've forgotten, and what sort of order
to put these in for best effect.

ATB
--
Mike
Michael Hargreave Mawson, author of "Eyewitness in the Crimea"