Re: Hard Top Resto 2 - and Car-O-Scope

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Hard Top Resto 2 - and Car-O-Scope
From: Michael Hargreave Mawson <OC@46thFoot.com>
Date: Sun, 7 Apr 2002 18:44:52 +0100
In article <001c01c1de60$2cb6f8e0$cb1886d9@g6a2g8>, James Carruthers
<j.carruthers@rave.ac.uk> writes
>Mike wrote:
>
>> My Saab cost me GBP500.   A complete new exhaust system cost me GBP400.
>> A set of new tyres cost me GBP350.   A replacement alternator cost me
>> GBP50.   That is pretty-much all I have spent on it in the last three
>> years.   This is definitely the cheapest car, in terms of purchase price
>> and repair costs, that I have ever owned.   It is also the most
>> expensive car, in terms of insurance and road tax, that I have ever
>> owned, but you can't have everything!   It does about 25 mpg around
>> town, and about 40 mpg on the motorway.   Overall, it has still been
>> cheaper to run than the Spitfire, by about a factor of two.
>>

>So really it's the complete opposite of a spitfire then,

Absolutely.   Huge, luxurious, all mod. cons. (but who really needs an
indicator to let you know when your screen-wash is getting low??),
powerful engine, loves to cruise at 90, new parts cost a fortune. Almost
everything that the Spitfire is not (and nothing that a Spitfire is).

> I can see why the
>sensible spitfire owner would want a car like this.

<g>   I got half-a-ton of peat, gravel and sand in the back of this last
week.   Couldn't have done *that* in the Spit...

>I've gone off Saab's ever since I moved in with a Swedish guy who I thought
>I knew quite well but ended up being a complete psychopath (I shant use the
>expletives I usually use) - he had a real thing for Saab's. We ended up
>throwing him out of the house. Im not a violent person normally - but I
>really wanted to hurt this guy. Thats how bad he was...
>
>I think I should point out that I also know 2 Swedish girls - and they're
>perfectly nice. Im not basing my opinion of an entire nation based on one
>guy :)

I think the psychotic tendencies inherent in Saab ownership are, in my
case, off-set by the neurotic tendencies of the Spitfire owner.   This
makes me a "well-balanced" individual.

Having spent today on a long drive in the country, I realised that, with
the top down, and the cassette-player blasting Crosby, Stills, Nash and
Young, I could no longer hear any of the rattles that had been bugging
me all through the winter.   Instead I started to worry about *smells*.
"Is that burning insulation, or is it the pig farm I have just passed?"

ATB

--
Mike
Michael Hargreave Mawson, author of "Eyewitness in the Crimea"