Re: Rubber bonnet stops

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Rubber bonnet stops
From: Michael Hargreave Mawson <OC@46thFoot.com>
Date: Sun, 7 Apr 2002 18:35:41 +0100
In article <001001c1de5d$58beab20$cb1886d9@g6a2g8>, James Carruthers
<j.carruthers@rave.ac.uk> writes
>The simplest jobs always go wrong for me.
>
>The nut inside the little metal enclosure on the bonnet basically
>disintegrated - therefore I can't undo the bolt with the rubber stop on it. No
>amount of stabbing various objects in to the hole will stop with nut from
>rotating. So how do I replace the nut?

A similar thing happened to me, only my problem was that the
rubber-tipped bolt had sheared off.   I eventually realised that the nut
is only held in by a flap of steel that can easily be bent back (i.e.
towards the bonnet) enough to let you take the old nut out and replace
it with a new one.

I discovered this after three hours of trying to get the sheared-off
bolt out.

ATB

--
Mike
Michael Hargreave Mawson, author of "Eyewitness in the Crimea"