RE: my uj and bearing update - and brake light

To: "'James Carruthers'" <j.carruthers@rave.ac.uk>,
Subject: RE: my uj and bearing update - and brake light
From: Richard Gosling <richard.gosling@exprogroup.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2002 08:54:35 -0000
Well, if they are charging you #165 for 5 1/2 hours work then they must be
charging #30/hour - not too bad, although if you could have done it at TRGB
I think they are still at #25/hour.  On the other hand, TRGB are often
booked up a month or two in advance.

5 1/2 hours to do both sides doesn't sound unreasonable.  I reckon I've
replaced the UJ on one side only in about 2 - 2.5 hours, but then I'm not a
professional, and that didn't included replacing the bearing.  If you have a
change of heart and want to do it yourself I've prepared a How-To guide, but
it doesn't include bearing replacement (which requires special tools I
believe, like a bearing puller).

If your UJs were that badly shot consider yourself DAMN lucky they didn't
finally disintegrate while you were driving the car, that is a VERY scary
experience, and one that I am eternally grateful that I've come away from
pretty much unscathed.  I've learned the hard way the UJs are something you
do NOT, EVER leave until you've got a more conveniant time to do it.

I'm hoping that's new half-shafts you got from TRGB for that price - when
I've bought used ones off them before they have asked for something like #15
or #20, and a UJ is about #7.  Then again TRGB may not have any more used
ones - I might have used them all up already!

TRGB is also a sad place for coming across decrepit Spits.  There is
probably still a yellow 1500 out the front, identical to Daffy, with the
windscreen and top half of the bulkhead missing - that part is in my
workshop at the moment awaiting a windscreen frame transplant!

Good luck, I hope your car will be properly sorted come Monday evening!

Richard & Daffy

Important Notice:
The information in this email is confidential and may be legally-privileged.
If you have reason to believe you are not the intended recipient, any
disclosure,
copying, distribution or any action taken or omitted to be taken in reliance on
it is prohibited and may be unlawful and you are requested to contact the sender
urgently and dispose of this email