Re: Off Topic: Engine Swaps - P-51 Mustang?

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Off Topic: Engine Swaps - P-51 Mustang?
From: "L G" <boynigel@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2002 19:09:12 +0000
>Im sure alot of you know this, but I didn't - The P-51 Mustang was
>rubbish until they put a Rolls-Royce Merlin engine in it. And that it
>was designed by Americans for the British?
>
>Does anybody find this strange?

IIRC-the P-51 Mustang was actually a collaborative effort by the British and
the Yanks. In fact, "P-51 Mustang" is the U.S. name-though at this point I
don't remember what the Brits called it. Though I have had British friends
tell me that the Mustang is related to the Supermarine Spitfire...

Laura G. (My WWII Warbird "expert" is out of town right now, or I'd call and
get the answer...)