Re: Off Topic: Engine Swaps - P-51 Mustang?

To: "Spitfire List" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Off Topic: Engine Swaps - P-51 Mustang?
From: "Dean Dashwood" <deandashwood_list@yahoo.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2002 18:17:53 -0000
I remember seeing a program about a Rolls Royce with some ridiculous
engine-swap, I wonder if this is what you're thinking of?  Don't remember all
the details, but the story goes something like this:

One of Rolls Royce's regular customers was trundling along the Autobahn in
Germany at around about the top speed his Rolls would go, when he spotted
another Rolls Royce approaching him, very fast, in the rear-view mirror.  The
next day, he contacted Rolls Royce to ask what the new model was, and why
hadn't he been informed about it because he wanted one.  Rolls told him that
there was no new model, but he insisted that he'd been overtaken by a model he
didn't recognise.

Rolls Royce investigated, and discovered that the car which had overtaken
theirs had been modified, and had some stupidly large engine put under the
bonnet, which could well have been the Merlin that you're thinking of, but I
can't remember.  They took the owner of this car to court, claiming that the
car he was driving was no longer a Rolls Royce, and therefore couldn't have
the Flying Lady emblem on the front.  The owner, I believe, lost the court
case, had to take the car off the road, and then challenged the findings of
the court.  Since his car was no longer on the road, he turned up outside the
court in a horse-drawn carriage, which I thought was pretty amusing!

Apologies if I've got the details wrong, I've never had a memory for details,

Dean