Re: knocking noise

To: Spitfire Enthusiast <spitfire-enthusiast@yahoogroups.com>,
Subject: Re: knocking noise
From: Dan Canaan <Flinters@picarefy.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2001 12:40:43 -0800
Does the engine knock when you freewheel it by revving the throttle in
neutral and standing at a stop?  That will tell you if the knocking is in
the drivetrain or in the engine itself.  If it is in the engine, you can
use a stethescope (or even a piece of PVC pipe) against the block and your
ear to see if you can localize the sound- is it in the timing chain,
cylinder head, or engine block?

The fact that it only knocks while under power or load means that there is
stress being applied to the output and that sets up a condition that the
engine knocks.  It could be U-joints, but they won't make noise as much as
when you go around corners.  Crankshaft endfloat could be the cause- yes,
those critical shims that drop out of the engine into the oil pan could let
your crank float back and forth until it is knocking while under load.  See
if the crank pulley can slide back and forth towards the radiator and
engine with a firm grasp.  I hope it doesn't move.  :/

-Vegaman Dan
 |             |   1968 Triumph Spitfire Mk III   *   Furry Artist      |
 |             |   MINTMINTMINTMINTMINTMINTMINTMINTMINTMINTMINTMINT!!   |
 |    Canaan   |     ConiFur NorthWest 2001 - Furries in Seattle!       |
 | CONIFUR NW  |   Flinters@picarefy.com * http://jarmac.picarefy.com   |