Re: Anyone want to trade a single DGV for some twin SUs?!?!?!?

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Anyone want to trade a single DGV for some twin SUs?!?!?!?
From: Michael Hargreave Mawson <OC@46thFoot.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2001 07:26:52 +0100
In article <002a01c12aa3$2a578860$4ede4cd8@f3j3v6>, John and Chris
<peacox1@bellsouth.net> writes
>Well the wife is kinda strict for a while then she lightens up.  I had
>thousands in high performance parts in my 96 TA and she is just a little gun
>shy.  She has seen me go through a lot of cars and gets nervous when I start
>another toy.  Hell my TR8 was just un-Godly expensive, super fast, and
>everytime I drove it I broke something(too much power).
>
>So my history shows a pattern of excess and she is just trying to keep me a
>little more sane with this one.

If you can agree that you are allowed to spend money on repairs, but not
on performance upgrades (which seems a suitable compromise), then you
should be fine.

Since I got my Spit in February, I think I have probably spent about
GBP1000 to replace parts that were missing or broken, and maybe
GBP500-750 on labour.   There are only three missing parts that I still
have to find (the two seat catch handles and the rear trim for the
hardtop), one major mechanical repair that needs doing (engine strip,
re-bore if required, replacement of piston rings, rebuild), and a fair
amount of bodywork de-rusting (most of which I will do myself), and then
I can start thinking about performance upgrades (front springs, shocks
etc.).   In other words, on repair and maintenance alone, I am spending
about GBP225 per month, and expect to do so for at least 12 months...
Running an old car is not cheap - although my insurance is now GBP350 a
year less than it was, and my car tax refund of GBP55 should arrive any
day now!

ATB
--
Mike
Michael Hargreave Mawson, author of "Eyewitness in the Crimea"