Anyone want to trade a single DGV for some twin SUs?!?!?!?

To: <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Anyone want to trade a single DGV for some twin SUs?!?!?!?
From: "John and Chris" <peacox1@bellsouth.net>
Date: Sun, 19 Aug 2001 18:08:35 -0400
I have just about had it.  I thought it was running poorly before, so I
decided to follow the instructions on VTR on adjusting the SUs.  Well I have
made it way worse than it ever was.  I have it at least driveable now.

Here goes-------It seems to idle ok.  It is extremely sluggish on acceleration
and always was(it is not as bad now though).  On accel it misses/pops when I
hit the higher rpms(well over 3000 to 3500.  It still accelerates, but pops a
couple times in all gears.  It will not go over like 4500 or so, it just
stops.  Even sitting in the garage and pushing the throttle all the way up it
has a dead spot and will not go any higher.  I followed the instructions in
the Haynes manual, but it says to bring the mixture adj nut up til the jet is
even with the top of the bridge, then back it off 2 turns.  It wont even
start.  So I go to 1 turn.  It starts and seems to be the best place.  When I
go up or down 1 flat of the nut it gets way worse and will barely run for the
misses and pops and backfiring out the carbs.

I neeeeed the car to run now.  I bought it instead of renting a car while my
Land Rover is being fixed from a bad accident.  So it is my only means of
transportation.  I work 40 miles away and need it to run somewhat right.  The
wife only let me get it if I promised to not spend money on it for at least 2
years.

So you see my perdicament(sp).  I want to make these carbs work because I
heard they can be made to produce more power than Dual sidedraft Webers, but
at this point, I need it to run.

SO please help.

John