Re: Anyone want to trade a single DGV for some twin SUs?!?!?!?

To: <spitfires@autox.team.net>, <peacox1@bellsouth.net>
Subject: Re: Anyone want to trade a single DGV for some twin SUs?!?!?!?
From: "Nolan Penney" <npenney@mde.state.md.us>
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2001 09:51:19 -0400
A couple of possibilities immediately come to mind.

One is that you've got the wrong needle and jet combination for your engine.
Another is that the float level is too low.
Overly thick oil in the dashpot will make you extremely sluggish on
acceleration.

Consider the number of Webers you see on race cars, as opposed to the number
of SU's you see.  There's a reason top end racers use Webers on carbureted
engines and not SU's.  And they aren't looking for low power.

SU's are rather tempermental.  It took me quite a while to get mine rightish.
Starting with learning that there's a lot of poor quality replacement parts on
the market.

I'd suggest getting your carburetors over to an expert who can set you up well.
But since you also made the promise about not spending any money on maintenance
either, I'd suggest going with a downdraft Weber.  They are far more maintenance
free than an SU.