Re: repair or restore?

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: repair or restore?
From: jblair@exis.net
Date: Mon, 6 Mar 2000 12:01:31 -500

>Bernhard Rauner wrote:
>
> I am owner of a 1971 spitfire MK IV with approximately 90.000
>Mlles. Approximately because of the speedometer wasn't working
>the last 10.000 Mlles or so.....

>So I ask every listener - is it worth it, to start a complete
>restoration on a healthy car?

Bernhard,

   For starters, check you the responce that TeriAnn Wakeman
wrote several months ago, in responce to a similar question:

   http://www.team.net/www/morgan/restoration.html";

Next, the healthier the car is the easier, faster, and less
expensively the restoration can be done.  For instance, you
don't have to spend hour, days, months fabricating and welding
in body panels.  But you SHOULD look at rebuilding the engine.

>> Did you ever ask yourself - Is it worth it? Should I repair a broken
>doorhandle
 or a scratch in the bonnet? Or should I start a complete restoration including
all the work of dismantling, cleaning, an so on?

I ask myself that many times during any restoratoin I do.  So
far I've done, my 65 Morgan in 70 again in 88-92, my 65 Volvo
P1800 2 times, 1 MGB for my brother-in-law, and I'm currently
in the middle of my 75 Bricklin.  I also have 1 Spitfire and
a Saab Sonett III (or 2) waiting in the wings.

If you have to PAY to have the all the work done, it is NOT
worth it.  If you do the work, then the answer is for you to
decide.  I for one, have to agree with what TeriAnn said.
Also I get a lot of pride and satisfaction out of seeing my
work on the road.

>What is the advantage of a restorated car?  All I did up to
>now since I bought this car in late 1993 was to change the
>exhaust system to a twin system with two endpipes, change the
>airfilters to a k&n system for maximum air intake, renew all
>bushes and seals and bought a set of center-locked wheels.

What are the advantages, not in any real order

1. keeps you off the street at nights,
2. you can meet many nice people looking for parts and help,
3. you can take pride in the workmanship - it's all yours,
4. you become intamitly familuar with every aspect of the car,
5. you replace every wear item, ie. all bushings, etc.  The
   car is like new (almost - sometimes better) when your done.
   This will give you many happy trouble free driving hours.
6. you can learn new skills.  Have you rebuild an eng before?
   Have you ever done any body work, painted......?

>Please tell me the experience you made while restoration,
>how long it took to restore a MK IV spitfire or similar and - >last but not
least - was it worth it!

Again read TeriAnn comments.  She says it a lot more emotionally
and elloquently than I can.

Disadvantages:
1. Lots of work - approx. 1000 to 2000 man hours of work to
   restore a car.
2. Frustrating - things done fit, you have to redo things you've
   aready done.
3. Expensive - but a lot less than truning the car over to a
   shop to do.  I did my Morgan (what you would call a healthy
   car) for about $5,000.  My Bricklin on the other hand, was
   NOT a healthy car.  So far, I've spent about $6,000 and
   still need to drop another $2,000 to $3,000.
4. Eats up lots of storage room for disassembled parts.  My
   Morgan body sat in my living room for over 2 yrs. Not to
   mention behind and under every piece of furnature in the
   house.  Helps to have a VERY understanding wife.

Depending on the number of hours a day or week you work on the car will
determine
the calendar time to do the restoration.
As I said earlier, it will take you between 1000 & 2000 hours.
I have 1741 hours in the main part of the restoration of my
Morgan and am at 1200 hours on my Bricklin.

I know a fellow that has done 3 Bricklins since 88.  In that
time, I've done my Morgan and 2/3 to 3/4 of my Bricklin.

Is it worth it? To me is sure is.  I enjoy seeing the fruits
of my labor.  This is also the only way I can afford the cars
I have.

John

John T. Blair          (jblair@exis.net)
Va. Beach, VA