Re: Moral support needed - badly

To: dterrick@home.com, spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Moral support needed - badly
From: SJagGo@aol.com
Date: Mon, 6 Mar 2000 12:12:14 EST
Hi Dave,
I'm not sure what the history of your gearbox is, but it sounds like it may
have been rebuilt without using a new circlip on the mainshaft.  I've also
seen suppliers send the wrong circlip.  What happens is the first time you
shift hard, the circlip pops right out of the groove and all the gears and
synchros float as you say.  Mk1-3 boxes have a circlip that is rectangular
steel wire bent and tempered to a circle.  I have had suppliers send me
circular wire that does not hold in the slot of the mainshaft.  Gearboxes
really aren't too hard to master and no special tools are required.  BUT, if
the manual says use a new this or that I would do it.
Bill Brockschmidt