Re: repair or restore?

To: Bernhard Rauner <Bernhard.Rauner@noegkk.sozvers.at>
Subject: Re: repair or restore?
From: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>
Date: Mon, 06 Mar 2000 07:05:13 -0700
Bernard,
At least you have an option to "repair" or "Restore"!  My options on the
first Spitfire I restored were "Scrap or restore".  THe car had so much
rust that it probably should have been parted out.  But the Commission
number was so low that I didn't have the heart to see it to to the
crusher.

Looking back after over $15,000 pumped into it over the past 4 years, I
have to say that it was worth both the effort and the expense.  I
derived great pleasure in seeing it come together and having the final
product to show for all the work and money.

Even after 3 years of the initial completion, it is still sharp enough
to take First place in the Spitfires class at the "Wheels of Britain"
show in Phoenix, Arizona yesterday!

Hope you enjoy your project as much as I have.

Regards,
Joe

Bernhard Rauner wrote:

> I am owner of a 1971 spitfire MK IV with approximately 90.000 Mlles.
>Approximately because of the speedometer wasn't working the last 10.000 Mlles
>or so.
>
> Did you ever ask yourself - Is it worth it? Should I repair a broken
>doorhandle  or a scratch in the bonnet? Or should I start a complete
>restoration including all the work of dismantling, cleaning, an so on?
> You must know - my car is in original trim - first painting, first engine
>(runs very smooth!, first gearbox, original clutch!) But almost 23 years of
>living on British and then 7 years on Austrian roads (better than you would
>expect!) leaves a few bumps and bruises.
>
> So I ask every listener - is it worth it, to start a complete restoration on
>a healthy car?  What is the advantage of a restorated car?  All I did up to
>now since I bought this car in late 1993 was to change the exhaust system to a
>twin system with two endpipes, change the airfilters to a k&n system for
>maximum air intake, renew all bushes and seals and bought a set of
>center-locked wheels. Austrian winters are pretty long (October to April) so I
>had a lot of time to work.
>
> Please tell me the experience you made while restoration, how long it took to
>restore a MK IV spitfire or similar and - last but not least - was it worth it!
>
> Bernhard Rauner
> 71 MK IV spit

 -- Dave Weinbaum in National Enquirer