RE: Dual SU's & ECV

To: "'Richard Gosling'" <rbgos@perkins-engines.com>, Spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Dual SU's & ECV
From: "Bowen, Patrick A RP2" <PABowen@sar.med.navy.mil>
Date: Tue, 7 Dec 1999 07:56:25 -0500
Richard, The reason there are so many US correspondents on the list is this
is where 90% of Spitfires were sold.  they were designed and intended for
the US Market.  The US cars were indeed different, while they started off
the same, somewhere around 1969 or 1970 I think (not so good with dates)
Federal Spitfires (as the US variant is known) was switched to a single
Zenith Stromberg Carb.  Reason being is the SU was not compatible with
emissions equipment and the ZS was.  So They sucked another 20 or so
horsepower out of our cars.

Patrick Bowen