Re: Cataclysmic Converter

To: John Weale <jweale@eskimo.com>
Subject: Re: Cataclysmic Converter
From: Atwell Haines <carbuff@nac.net>
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 1999 15:39:38 -0500
At 06:39 PM 11/21/99 -0800, John Weale wrote:
>       Any idea on just how quickly they go bad (if the carb is off)?
>Once I get my car running again I need to get 80 miles down the road to
>get the carb tuned up.  Should I worry about melting down my new cat in
>the hour or two trip?

Just a guess, that unless the thing is running _really_ rich, it won't be
harmed.  Might get really hot though. (When my car first ran, the cat
glowed red because of the worn jet hole in the ZS carb)

If you have a ZS carb, you can adjust the carb for smooth idling, then look
at a spark plug to see if it's rich (black & sooty = bad).   If you are
installing a new Weber that has to be jetted, good luck, I have no
experience in how accurate the initial settings are. But if all cylinders
are firing it should be OK for 80 miles.

Atwell Haines
'79 Spitfire
Succasunna, NJ USA>