Re: Cataclysmic Converter

To: Tburke4@aol.com, spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Cataclysmic Converter
From: Atwell Haines <carbuff@nac.net>
Date: Sat, 20 Nov 1999 19:33:35 -0500
At 06:17 PM 11/20/99 EST, Tburke4@aol.com wrote:

>Hi folks,
>
>I'd like to introduce myself, and my son, and my son's car, a 1980 Spitfire
>slowly rising from several years of neglect.

Hi Tom!

 >>My question is: Has anyone
>successfully mounted a "universal" CC or found any other creative solutions
>for replacing the CC. >>

Try

http://www.discountconverter.com/converters/triumph/index.htm

Spit converters are currently listed for $153 USD.

>Of course, I could just get a header, but, as Richard
>Nixon said, "That would be wrong.";-). Obviously, I'm not trying to do a box
>stock restoration here, just a reliable driver that will pass emissions.

If the carb is OK (stock was a Zenith-Stromberg 150 CDE) the car will
easily pass the idle test with the air pump operating, even if the CC is
shot.  Trouble is, they go bad from the carb running too rich...

<<Interesting auto parts sources <SNIPPED>>>

>Best wishes and thanks for any ideas you can provide.

Keep us posted on the progress of your restoration!  The more Spits on the
road, the better.   :)   We assume your are in a state that does not
require box-stock emmissions apparatus, as California does?

Cheers,

Atwell Haines
'79 Spitfire
Succasunna, NJ USA

"The one thing that unites all human beings, regardless of age, gender,
religion, economic status or ethnic background, is that, deep down inside,
we ALL believe that we are above-average drivers." -- Dave Barry