Cataclysmic Converter

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Cataclysmic Converter
From: Tburke4@aol.com
Date: Sat, 20 Nov 1999 18:17:05 EST
Hi folks,

I'd like to introduce myself, and my son, and my son's car, a 1980 Spitfire
slowly rising from several years of neglect. We've been pretty lucky, so far,
no drastic structural rust problems, motor runs, and, after rebuilding the
brakes and clutch, all she wants is an exhaust (just got it), a pair of seats
(coming soon), tires, and then we get to find out what's really wrong with it
by driving. Such as:

We got our Monza exhaust hooked up today, only to find that there was still a
lot of racket coming out behind the catalytic converter. We removed the CC
which seems intact, but, it is totally shot inside. I'm still a little
puzzled about where the exhaust was leaking. I could not make out that the
leak was from the exhaust manifold, but, now I have to replace the catalytic
converter before anything else. Moss wants $300+ for this piece.
Wrenchead.Com lists a "universal" one for $66. My question is: Has anyone
successfully mounted a "universal" CC or found any other creative solutions
for replacing the CC. Of course, I could just get a header, but, as Richard
Nixon said, "That would be wrong.";-). Obviously, I'm not trying to do a box
stock restoration here, just a reliable driver that will pass emissions.

BTW, a gentleman named Tony Gordon posted some info on the Triumph list about
this Wrenchead.com outfit. They are a true, secure, online parts supplier for
all kinds of cars with very interesting prices. I ordered a remanufactured
emissions air pump from them for $45.00/no shipping chg,/no core req.. It
took about 10 days and it is the genuine article. I've seen this item listed
for anywhere from $100 to $350 in various catalogs, so I was pleased. I have
no interest in them (other than their universal CC), but you might check them
out if you're looking for some of the more run-of-the-mill replacement
parts.Mr Gordon also mentioned a couple of other websites which I've copied
below.

http://www.wrenchead.com/ (this is the site with the free shipping)
http://www.cskauto.com/ (has a lot of small TR6 parts at good prices)
http://www.carparts.com/
http:/www.discountautoparts.com (seems to be limited on chassis parts front)

Best wishes and thanks for any ideas you can provide.

Tom & Thomas Burke
80 Spitfire
TFVDW2AT002355