Re: CARBS...

To: Brian Doll <brian.doll@usa.hinz.com>
Subject: Re: CARBS...
From: Scott Hall <sch8489@garnet.acns.fsu.edu>
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 1999 15:46:49 -0500 (EST)
man, I'd love to see someone try this.  for years I've thought a nice gsxr
overbored engine would really zip a spit around, but when you think about
it, what a pita it'd be.  gotta swap tranny shafts to get shaft instead of
chain drive, or convert the chain on the outside.  all this is after you
actually mount the engine in the bay.  no reverse (the gw box is electric
reverse, and only on some). you'd want better tranny gears to avoid
stripping them out on every start (even fully loaded gws don't weigh what
a spit does, and gsxrs aren't even close).  then you've got the torque
problem.  I don't know what a spit makes, and I keep meaning to look for
comparison, but I'll bet a chocolate cheesecake that the torque is pretty
low, even by car standards.  a gsxr is at peak torque at about 9000 rpm,
and you'd probably need most of that to get rolling.  clutch swaps would
be routine.  I keep burning out on the idea when I realize it'd be easier
to actually tune the triumph lump rather than deal with the tranny issues
from using a m/c engine.

scott