Re: First run in 5 years

To: "Peter S." <alfapete@pacbell.net>
Subject: Re: First run in 5 years
From: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 1999 13:28:53 -0700

"Peter S." wrote:

> I disconnect the joints from the diff. they are very loose.  I ordered a
> pair from SpitBits yesterday.  Don't know what type I'm getting.  Can't
> believe its also doing the work of a suspension member.  Manual says not to
> leave the grease nipples in place as they can foul.
> Should I just remove the whole hub-shaft-brake unit as a whole or try to
> remove the joint from the splines of the shaft?

Peter,
The longer grease nipples (long enough to be useful) stick out so far
that if you experience a major flexing of the U-Joint, it will be broken
off.  The ideal situation is to screw it in, grease the joint and then
remove it, replacing the zerk with a plug.

Although I have heard people say they have replaced the U-Joints with
the axles still in the car, I recommend removing them.  Sure, you will
have to bleed the brakes, but it is much easier to change out the joints
on the bench.

Good Luck,
Joe

 -- Dave Weinbaum in National Enquirer