Re: First run in 5 years

To: "Peter S." <alfapete@pacbell.net>, "Spit-LIST" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: First run in 5 years
From: "Wayne Burton" <Wayne_burton@bc.sympatico.ca>
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 1999 08:30:38 -0700
>I just took my Spit out for its first 4 mile run in probably 5 years (I've
>only had it a couple months).  Many things have been sorted and it looks
>like its finally ready for a smog test and licensing.  Yesterday I replaced
>the rear brakes and cleaned and painted the drums etc.  Tonight while on
the
>road I heard a faint tick tick tick sound that is coming from the right
rear
>wheel.  Like a bad bearing or something.  Directly related to the speed of
>the car.  This is with or without the brakes on.  Not like a rock in a tire
>but more thumpy.  Any ideas?
>
>Peter S

Very common problem with Spitfires and all Swing Axle Cars! Its the
Universal Joints in the rear. They probably need grease from sitting so long
(I grease mine annually - driven or not!). If the grease trick doesn't work,
then they need to be replaced. Since they are about the hardest working part
in the entire suspension system, they need a lot of attention.
Make sure you get hardy-spicer or similar ones, as the ones made in japan
are _very_ hard to install correctly, due to the size of the bearing
retaining rubbers on the spiders.

Wayne